Here are a few pointers to ensure your donation goes where you intend it:
- You can't go wrong with donating directly to the big names: the Red Cross, Save the Children, International Medical Corps., etc.
- Donate directly to the organisations rather than through a group soliciting on a charity's behalf, as such groups often take a percentage cut of contributions.
- Be careful of charities you've never heard of; check them up on watchdog sites such as Charity Watch.
- Be super-cautious of so-called 'charities' that contact you directly for donations, e.g. by phone or text. Legit organisations will not do that.
- Can't decide on which charity to give to? Global Giving is a project which disburses funds to aid and rescue efforts on the ground that needs it most. They ensure that at least 90% of your contribution gets to organisations at ground zero within 60 days, and the percentage to cover overheads is well below the average charity.
Finally, why not get something for the money you donate by taking part in a charity auction? Write Hope has got some awesome lots comprising signed books, manuscript critiques, and lots more! Bidding starts today, so check them out now! All proceeds go to their chosen charity Save the Children.
Oh, and congratulations to Authors for Japan. At the close of their charity auction, they have collected a whopping £10,962.25 for the British Red Cross! Well done, guys, and kudos to everyone who made a bid for a good cause!
So if you're in the giving mood, why not contribute a story for our anthology, and then get all your friends and family to buy a copy? :) Also, please try and spread the word, and feel free to grab our temporary badge below. I say 'temporary' as our resident designing genius Fena is still working on a super-awesome one, and this is a lame attempt on my part...:P