Monday 20 June 2011

Meet the Authors: Lucy Cripps

Introducing today's featured author...

Lucy Cripps

Brief Bio:
Born and educated as an English teacher in England, Lucy Cripps now lives in Salzburg, Austria with her young family. Lucy lectures at the University of Salzburg and writes as a hired pen, proofreader and copy-editor. Her short story, Final Solution, will be published in the Stories for Sendai anthology. Follow her day-to-day escapades teaching, writing and studying for her MA in professional writing at University College Falmouth at http://www.lucycripps.com.

What genres do you write?
Most typically, I write non-fiction, buttering my bread with online business writing--from scaffold towers to cleaning, and online marketing to wedding photography. Last year, I was commissioned to write about twenty press freedom heroes for the International Press Institute's 60th anniversary commemorative book, which was incredibly interesting.

What are you currently writing? Sum it up in 10 words or less.
Ghost/co-writing a Palestinian journalist's memoires of taking Sesame Street to Palestine. We met when I wrote about him for the IPI's book.

What do you do when you're not writing?
Marking, editing and proofreading other people's writing--or sleeping. Sleeping is great, but I also enjoy baking and eating cakes, swimming in the rain, and travelling with my family and my netbook.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer?
What a question! Thanks to my teaching at the University of Salzburg, I've had to get to grips with areas of grammar that, a few years ago, I didn't know existed. While writing is very close to my heart, forging a successful career in the grammatical perfection that is the editing/proofreading world would be the biggest buzz for me.

How close are you to achieving this goal?
Some days I'm within spitting distance of it, others it's just a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

What is the single most important piece of advice you can give a fellow writer?
Learn to use apostrophes correctly, or find an editor that can. Of all the punctuation points, apostrophes, for some reason, cause the most hassle, and they look most obvious when they're incorrectly used.
And, of course, read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Suggestion? We would love to hear from you!